Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hunters are insomniacs







Training day started at 5:30 AM.  At my grandpa's cattle ranch in Wyoming it's easy to beat the sun out of bed; why is it so hard to wake up early when I'm anywhere else?  Something about knowing that you might see a moose as you head out to catch a huge brooke trout on the stream behind the house haunts my sleep.  Maybe it's because I can hear a goose honk from a mile away even if I'm indoors.  The opportunity to experience the unpopulated outdoors has its way of making sleep much less valuable.  Knowing that there where eleven sleeping laboradors in a dogpile in the shed next door just added to my insomnia. I couldn't resist pulling out a dozen of my ranch decoys to teach the puppies about their heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment